Glenavon take on Larne tonight, with Gary Hamilton looking his team to take confidence from Saturday’s draw against Linfield.

However, he admits that the Lurgan Blues will be in for a tough time against a side which always seems to have the upper hand against them.

In fact, since 2003, Glenavon have only beaten Larne once in 17 attempts.

It’s also the first time the two teams have met since Glenavon suffered late heartache in the European play-off last June.

“Tuesday night will be difficult against Larne. We know that,” Gary told Glenavon Media.

“They’re going to have had the right recovery over the last few days – they’re not going to have been working whereas our boys will have.

“It’s always difficult against full time opponents. Our boys need to look after themselves as best they can over the weekend – do their stretches, get an ice bath and come Tuesday night we need to play with the same energy levels that we did on Saturday.”

Glenavon will be without the suspended Andrew Doyle following his sending off on Saturday, while James Singleton and Peter Campbell remain out through injury.

There is also a doubt over the fitness of Michael O’Connor, while Calum Birney is available once again serving a suspension.

If Gary had a choice, he wouldn’t be changing the team.

“I’ve always told the boys that when they play well they would keep the shirt,” he added.

“It will be more difficult, let’s not make any bones about that, because midweek games tend to favour the full-time sides.

“All we can do is come out and try and get a good start because if we do that, then the longer we stay in the game the better the chance we have of getting a result.”

Tickets for tonight’s game remain on sale online by clicking here. You can also buy your tickets for Saturday’s game against Glentoran through that link, while tickets for the weekend game can also be purchased tonight at the BlueZone, or from the club office, which will be open on Friday from 9am to 2pm. Season tickets will also be available for collection on this occasion.

LAST TIME OUT: A last gasp goal by Marty Donnelly broke Glenavon’s hearts right at the end of the play-off semi-final at Inver Park.

For the majority of the game it was hard to tell which of the teams was the full-time outfit, and the Glenavon players certainly deserve praise for a fantastic effort on the night.

However, in the end, it wasn’t to be and it’s Larne who progress to Saturday’s game to decide who will fill the Premiership’s final European spot.

Glenavon took a fifth minute lead after a corner kick was headed back across goal. Calvin Douglas turned it back in the direction of Danny Purkis, who got the final touch to put the visitors in front.

However, their lead didn’t last long and with eight minutes on the clock it was 1-1. Again it came from a corner which was headed by John Herron. Andy Doyle cleared it off the line, but it was played back in by Hale and was turned in by Davy McDaid from close range.


REFEREE: Steven Gregg

ASSISTANT REFEREES: Paul Robinson, George Argyropoulos



MATCH SPONSOR: Edsel Muldrew Family Butchers, Markethill

BALL SPONSOR: Brownlow House

MAN OF THE MATCH SPONSOR: Barry Craig and Ethna Ferran