Glenavon will look to keep their slim hopes of making the top six alive as they travel to Warrenpoint Town this evening (7.45pm, watch for £7 on – please note that the different website for this game).

Last Friday’s heavy loss to Crusaders means that they need to win tonight to keep the pressure on the north Belfast club for that final spot.

Victory would pull the Lurgan Blues a point behind the Crues ahead of the weekend’s final games before the split, with Stephen Baxter’s side playing bottom club Dungannon Swifts and Glenavon hosting league leaders Linfield.

While it’s not impossible, Gary Hamilton conceded that it was a big ask.

“Crusaders are four points clear of us and their last game before the split is against Dungannon, so they should be winning that game,” he said.

“But we’ll keep fighting. We’ll want to win the game on Tuesday night and I want to see a reaction.

“It’s going to be a tough game down at Warrenpoint, as it always is.

“I want the players to go out and show that [the Crusaders defeat] was a one-off, that they’re not going to perform like that again, and get a result on Tuesday night because it’s what we need.

“Then it goes into the Linfield game. All we can do is do our bit and get results.

“First and foremost we need to deal with the Warrenpoint game. We need a good, solid performance.”

In terms of team news, Matthew Snoddy returns after missing Friday’s defeat to Crusaders under his loan deal, but otherwise the manager reports it’s as you were from the weekend.


REFEREE: Lee Tavinder

ASSISTANT REFEEES: Andrew Nethery, Stephen Bell

FOURTH OFFICIAL: Louise Thompson

LAST TIME OUT: A Danny Purkis goal on the stroke of half-time was enough to earn Glenavon an important 1-0 win over Warrenpoint Town at Mourneview Park on Tuesday night.

Purkis took full advantage of Colm Deasy’s loose back-pass when he latched onto the ball and rounded Warrenpoint goalkeeper Gabriel Sava before slotting into an empty net.

Glenavon made hard work of things as the second half wore on and they were hanging on a bit as the game entered the final minutes, but when Town saw Dermot McVeigh shown a straight red card for bringing down Glenavon captain James Singleton in injury time, the three points were wrapped up for the Mourneview men.