Glenavon will be without the services of James Singleton for Saturday’s Mid-Ulster derby against Portadown (live on for just £5).

James received a knock to the head during Tuesday night’s draw against Carrick Rangers and therefore will miss the game – the first one he has missed this season.

Conor McCloskey will be available for selection following his one game ban which saw him miss Tuesday’s game.

The last time that these two teams met was on the first game of the season, with Matthew Tipton’s side running out 4-2 winners. For Glenavon manager Gary Hamilton, who signed a three-year contract extension yesterday, getting revenge doesn’t come into it.

But he said: “We just need to get wins, it doesn’t matter about owing this one and that one. We are on a good wee run, we’re still unbeaten in six, but we were hugely disappointed with the result against Carrick.

“It’s a derby game on Saturday and the lads have to get up for that. If they can’t get up for that then there is something wrong with them.

“I’ve been here when we have been at the bottom of the league and Portadown have been in the top three. We went to Shamrock Park and got results and brought them to Mourneview and got results when we were poor.

“Now we’re a bit above them but it counts for nothing when it comes to derby days. We need to win the fight, we need to win the battles and if you do that then most of the time you get results in those games. If you don’t do that then we saw what could happen on the first day of the season when Portadown turned us over.

“Thankfully we have recovered from that and hopefully on Saturday we can go and give a better account of ourselves.”




ASSISTANT REFEREES: Paul Robinson, John Doherty



LAST TIME OUT: Former Glenavon striker Stephen Murray scored twice and set up two other goals on his return to Mourneview Park on Saturday evening as newly-promoted Portadown ran out 4-2 winners in the first Mid-Ulster derby since 2017. 

Murray opened the scoring on seven minutes when he converted from Ben Guy’s cross. 

The striker then slotted the ball under Glenavon goalkeeper James Taylor to grab his and the visitors’ second goal in the 31st minute. 

Peter Campbell tapped in substitute Conor McCloskey’s cross to halve Glenavon’s deficit nine minutes into the second period, but Murray turned provider as he crossed for strike partner Lee Bonis to fire past Taylor and restore the Ports’ two-goal advantage in the 81st minute. 

Glenavon captain James Singleton gave the Lurgan Blues hope when he headed home McCloskey’s corner five minutes from time, but substitute Aaron Burns scored with the last kick of the game to wrap up the three points for Portadown.