Dungannon Swifts 2-1 Glenavon

Danske Bank Premiership

Stangmore Park, Saturday 24th August 2019

Match Report by Calum Jones

Former Glenavon winger Mark Patton scored what proved to be the winning goal on Saturday as Glenavon lost 2-1 away to high-flying Dungannon Swifts.

Manager Gary Hamilton admitted to NIFL after the game that his side simply ‘didn’t come out’ in the first half, and the Swifts took a deserved two-goal lead into the break through goals from Michael Carvill and Patton.

The second half was a different story, with Glenavon dominating possession and launching wave after wave of attacks at Sam Johnston’s goal. However, they only managed to beat the keeper on one occasion, when Rhys Marshall headed home from a Sammy Clingan free-kick that had been awarded for a foul on Jack O’Mahony, for which Swifts full-back Alan Teggart was shown a straight red card.

The home side started much better than Glenavon and they almost went in front on six minutes. Captain Seanan Clucas caught the away defence napping and released Oisin Smyth with a quick throw-in on the left flank. The striker’s low left-foot shot went narrowly wide of Tuffey’s left-hand post.

Seven minutes later at the other end of the pitch Jack O’Mahony sent a volley just wide of the post with his right foot.

The deadlock was broken a quarter of an hour into the game. Johnston sent a long free-kick into the left channel and when Marshall misjudged the flight of the ball it broke for Ryan Waide and he sent a low cross into the box. Kris Lowe helped the ball on its way to find Carvill at the back post and he made no mistake, side-footing past Tuffey to make it 1-0 to the hosts.

Dungannon might have doubled their lead two minutes later. Caolan Marron lost his footing and Clucas was presented with an opportunity to shoot at goal. The Glenavon defender recovered brilliantly, however, to get a block in and deny the Swifts midfielder.

Some great play by Jordan Jenkins on the right wing in the 22nd minute saw him drive a low cross into the box which nearly picked out Josh Daniels, but Johnston did well to dive down and claim the ball just ahead of the winger.

Jenkins did the same on the opposite flank just a minute later, this time sending in a cross for striker partner Andrew Mitchell, but Caomhan McGuinness made an excellent block to prevent Mitchell’s shot from troubling Johnston.

Marshall put the ball in the Dungannon goal on 33 minutes but his effort was ruled out for offside.

Ten minutes later the hosts doubled their lead, and again it came from a long punt up the pitch from Johnston. Lowe jumped to challenge for a header with Jenkins, and when the Glenavon forward fell to the ground clutching his head the travelling supporters called for referee Ross Dunlop to halt play. The game was allowed to go on, though, and the ball made its way to the far side of the penalty area where Patton met it with a thunderous right-footed shot which gave Tuffey no chance.

Glenavon were much improved in the second half and they almost pulled a goal back on 57 minutes. Good build-up play by O’Mahony, Mitchell and Marshall released the latter into the box but Johnston produced a top save to deny the right-back, and Daniels couldn’t connect properly with the rebound.

The home side were reduced to 10 men on 63 minutes when Teggart was given his marching orders by referee Dunlop for a dangerous tackle of O’Mahony. From the resulting free-kick Clingan picked out Marshall and he directed his header into the bottom corner to reduce Glenavon’s deficit to one goal.

From that point on the game was basically attack against defence, with Glenavon dominating the ball and desperately trying to find an equaliser.

On 75 minutes Patton brought down Jenkins just outside the penalty area. Clingan’s effort from the free-kick went narrowly over the bar.

Two minutes later Johnston failed to hold a cross from substitute Aaron Harmon. The ball fell for Jenkins but his shot was deflected behind.

The best opportunity for an equaliser fell Jenkins’ way three minutes from time. Substitute Conor McCloskey crossed from the left, but Jenkins didn’t catch his shot right and Patton was able to clear the ball off the line, and the Swifts held on to secure a 2-1 win which leaves them sitting joint top of the table with Crusaders on 10 points.

Glenavon are in action again on Tuesday night (27th August) when they welcome Portstewart to Mourneview Park for a Bet McLean League Cup second round tie (kick-off 7.45pm). Prices are £8 and £5 and Season Tickets are not valid.


Dungannon Swifts: 1. Sam Johnston (GK), 5. Dylan King, 6. Seanan Clucas (C), 10. Oisin Smyth, 11. Alan Teggart, 14. Mark Patton, 15. Kris Lowe, 16. Michael Carvill, 20. Caomhan McGuinness, 21. Ryan Waide, 22. Caolin Coyle

Subs: 4. Douglas Wilson (for 22. Caolin Coyle, 20’), 27. Rhyss Campbell (for 21. Ryan Waide, 75’); not used: 12. Craig Taylor, 17. Cahal McGinty, 18. Stuart Addis (GK), 26. Adam Harwood, 31. James Convie

Goals: 16. Michael Carvill (15’), 14. Mark Patton (43’)

Yellow Cards: 6. Seanan Clucas (53’), 14. Mark Patton (74’), 5. Dylan King (85’)

Red Cards: 11. Alan Teggart (63’)


Glenavon: 1. Jonny Tuffey (GK) (C), 3. Paddy Burns, 4. Caolan Marron, 6. Andrew Doyle, 7. Josh Daniels, 8. Rhys Marshall, 9. Andrew Mitchell, 16. Sammy Clingan, 21. Jack O’Mahony, 28. Robert Garrett, 30. Jordan Jenkins

Subs: 15. Aaron Harmon (for 4. Caolan Marron, 46’), 21. Jack O’Mahony, 20. Conor McCloskey (for 9. Andrew Mitchell, 72’), 23. Kyle Beggs (for 3. Paddy Burns, 76’); not used: 11. Andy Hall, 14. Matthew Ferguson, 18. James Taylor (GK), 24. Stephen Murray

Goals: 8. Rhys Marshall (65’)

Yellow Cards: 6. Andrew Doyle (34’), 15. Aaron Harmon (58’)


Referee: Ross Dunlop