Marc Completes the Formalities

As previously published Marc Griffin has agreed a one-year deal with the option of a further year and after Monday night’s friendly versus Crystal Palace Development Squad he completed the formalities by signing his contract. Marc is pictured with Glenavon Football Secretary Jim McKenzie and Manager Gary Hamilton.

Photo by Ross Follis

Glenavon Sign Striker Marc Griffin

The former Dundalk, Derry City, Bohemians and Drogheda United striker Marc Griffin has agreed to join Glenavon on a one year deal with the option of a second year.  The 26 year old, who was born in Melbourne Australia, lives in Dundalk and works in Newry. He guested for Glenavon in both of last week’s pre-season friendlies.

Marc Griffin in action in last week’s friendly with Portadown. Photo by Maynard Collins

“Marc is a highly-rated, pacey striker who has played for some of the top clubs in the League of Ireland. He was recommended to me and I was impressed with him in our games against Crumlin and Portadown. He is in his mid twenties and I am delighted that he has agreed to join us” said Gary Hamilton today.

Marc is expected to line out for Glenavon at Mourneview Park next Monday evening when Glenavon’s pre-season preparations continue with a game against the Crystal Palace Development Squad (7.45pm).

Player News

The club is pleased to announce that goalkeeper James Taylor and defender Andrew Doyle have signed new contracts which keep them at MVP for another season.

Adam Foley Returns to Glenavon

Winger Adam Foley has returned to join Glenavon after signing a one-year amateur deal tonight. Adam sustained a serious knee injury in a pre-season game at Loughgall in July 2013 and underwent an operation in November that year.

After his recovery he made several appearances in the Reserves and started one League Cup game but a change in his work commitments saw him released from his contract in November 2014 to return to amateur football down south.

He made a successful return to the Dankse Bank Premiership last season with Portadown.

“I am delighted that Adam is back in the club, particularly  in light of the unfortunate circumstances in which he left last time,” Gary Hamilton told us.

Rhys Signs Three Year Deal

Rhys Marshall signs his new contract. Also pictured are Glenavon Manager Gary Hamilton and Vice Chairman John Sinnamon. Photo by Philip Hawthorne

Glenavon FC is delighted to confirm that Rhys Marshall has tonight signed a three year contract with the Club.

Speaking to the website this evening Rhys said “I always wanted to stay at Glenavon as I’ve loved my time here so it was just a matter of sorting out a few details on the deal.

“It’s been tough this season but we’ve had three good seasons before that and of course expectations among the fans were naturally high but to finish in the top six again was still an achievement. We weren’t conceding as many goals but the problem was we didn’t score enough. Hopefully the arrival of big Mitch (Andrew Mitchell) will make a difference to that next season.”

Rhys, who scored six goals this season, is hoping to improve on that tally as he will be featuring more in central midfield next season.

Gary Hamilton was of course delighted to successfully finalise negotiations with Rhys. “In my opinion he’s one of the top three players in the country and, as I keep saying, he has the potential to play across the water. Wherever I ask him to play, week in and week out, he’s a top player and since he moved to centre midfield last season he started to score more goals.

“Cardiff City were over watching him at the play-off final and their assistant manager was really impressed with him,” the Glenavon boss concluded.

Kilmartin and Elebert Leave Glenavon

ANDY KILMARTIN and DAVID ELEBERT have turned down the offer of new one-year contracts with Glenavon. Both players have now indicated their intention to leave Mourneview Park.

Andy Kilmartin in action at Solitude. Photo by Alan Weir.

David Elebert clears the danger. Photo by Alan Weir.

Andy, who turns 35 during next season, has been offered a two year deal with improved terms at another club and for family reasons has decided to accept the financial package on offer.

Meantime David, 32, has declined an appearance-related contract and will seek to continue his involvement in the game elsewhere.

It has been club policy under Gary Hamilton not to offer players over 32 years of age more than a one year contract.

Gary said today “I wish to thank Andy and Dave for their services to the club. In my opinion they were two of the best pros I have ever worked with, both in my playing and management days. I’m gutted to lose the two of them but understand and respect their reasons and wish them all the best in the future. They will always be welcomed back to Mourneview.”

Glenavon Sign Midfielder Chris Turner

Glenavon FC is pleased to announce the signing tonight of midfielder Chris Turner. The 30-year old Ballymoney native, who has represented Northern Ireland up to Under-21 level, had been at Scottish SPFL League 2 outfit Cowdenbeath and left by mutual consent in January. Turner started his career at Derby County before returning to Ireland in 2005 to join Sligo Rovers and then Bohemians in 2007. He had a brief spell at Partick Thistle before joining Dundalk in 2009 and moving to Shamrock Rovers in 2010 where he won two LOI titles and a Setanta Cup. In 2012 he returned to Scotland with Dumbarton where he made 83 appearances and scored 8 goals. Before joining Cowdenbeath he spent a short time at Hamilton Accies in 2015.

Glenavon Football administrator Jim McKenzie and Manager Gary Hamilton look on as Chris Turner signs his forms.